Monday, January 21, 2013

Day Forty Seven

Update: Banshee & O.C.Daisy

Banshee had been missing for a few days now. All I heard was that her husband called in for her. When I got to work, I walked into the office to get a till from O.C.Daisy. I didn't have the heart to be so cold toward her anymore. I decided to make small talk.

ME: Taking over for [Banshee] again?
DAISY: Yep, for several days now.
ME: Man, she must really be sick.
DAISY: She wasn't sick. She had a miscarriage.

My heart fell into my stomach. I watched Banshee look more and more pregnant over the last two months. I was told she wasn't pregnant. She said she wasn't pregnant.

DAISY: She had an IUD on so she didn't understand what was going on. Her doctor said she had an infection from her previous child's birth. He gave her medicine for it, to CLEANSE her. She was pregnant. He didn't even do a pregnancy test.

My heart dropped to the floor. What school did this doctor come from? I was angry and sad.

DAISY: I called her to see how she is doing. I know all about miscarriages. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 28. It's a miracle that I had my two kids in my early twenties. I should have had ten. I know exactly how [Banshee] is feeling.
ME: Oh my god. You're a survivor.
DAISY: Yes. It was hard to swallow that kind of news at that age. I'm grateful to be alive.
ME: I'm glad you were there for [Banshee].
DAISY: Yeah, I may try and visit her after work.


I didn't feel like writing about my customers and coworkers today. I kept my thoughts with Banshee and her family. Daisy and I were cordial all day. I decided to be nice to her from now on. She accidentally spilled an open bottle near my feet while we were talking. She apologized profusely and ran off to get cleaning materials. I cleaned up the mess myself quickly so she didn't have to do anything by the time she came back. I assured her that it was okay and she said, "Thank you." before apologizing one last time. She helped me out a lot today with my customers and we laughed together when funny things happened.
 
Tragedy. It causes us to drop all of the ridiculous things that we think divides us. It unites us and makes us dwell on what is important. I hate that that is what it takes. I couldn't empathize but I could sympathize. I felt that I somehow understood Daisy a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment